While our hearts go out to the recent victims and families affected by the extreme flooding in Louisiana, it serves as an important lesson in being prepared for whatever Mother Nature may throw at us. Here are some tips on how to be prepared for a storm, before, during and after:
- Have a plan for your family beforehand. Sit together and go over it, so there is little or no confusion if or when the plan has to be implemented.
- Have an “Emergency Ready Kit” with tools, supplies and first aid supplies. This includes plenty of batteries and flashlights and at least three days’ worth of water and non-perishable foods.
- Pay attention to local weather reports. Between “old school” media like radio and television, and new methods such as your computer or mobile device, there are plenty of ways to keep up even for the busiest person.
- Know the safest evacuation routes from your home.
After Severe Weather Warnings are Issued
- Leave low lying areas. Everywhere else, evacuate if instructed to do so.
- Protect windows with plywood boards or storm shutters.
- Secure outside objects.
- Have plenty of fuel and water for several days.
- Be ready to put your aforementioned plan and preparation into action…
When the Storm Hits
- If the best or only option is to stay home, go to a secure room and away from windows.
- Monitor weather and civic service bulletins on regular or NOAA weather radio.
- Remain indoors when sever weather hits.
After the Storm
- Before going outside, make sure the storm has settled passed.
- When you do go outside, if you see downed power lines, report them and stay away.
- Listen to the radio or go online (with a mobile device) for information from emergency management.
Where Restore Right Comes In
Restore Right technicians can be at your home at any time, day or night, to restore your home or business to its pre-storm appearance. To start, we do a thorough analysis of all the damage to your property, including mold cleanup from water damage and assessing the extent of fire or smoke damage. After our inspection, we will commence with a safe and efficient clean up service.